We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
This polymer clay character tutorial “Wee Jest” is created in three parts. This is so that you build your confidence and continue falling in love with polymer clay work.
Each achievable step will inspire, build your confidence and motivate you to go forward …
Ready or not, here is the polymer clay guided character tutorial “ WEE JEST “ to get your creative juices moving
Simple and funny, this little head exercise is a good one to start with because
- it is fast
- good warm up exercise
- confidence building
- inspiring for your own polymer clay creation
Once you complete this tutorial, plan at least an hour to experiment with your own ideas. The more you play, the more confident you will become. Learning how your hands handle polymer clay comes with practice and experience.
a simple excercise to get started :
This week and next we will take the learning curve a little further with the “Wee Jest” tutorial.
There are plenty of sculpting videos out there in you-tube-ville and I hope you explore to find lots of methods and ways to encourage your learning. We will play with some of these in the future so you can see how fun and liberating it can be. It can add a new trick or technique to your own preferences for creating faces.
Or you might jump ahead and find your original path right away !
So, let’s get started.
You will need:
- Clay : about 2 ounces mixed and conditioned
- Clay : white and black
- Simple sculpting tools : straight pin, sticks, knitting needles, shaping tools
- A stick for inserting into the neck for support
- Makeup of other colouring materials (your choice)
Begin with a ball of clay the size of a large marble :
- Flatten the clay to make an oval shape for the face and find the centre of the shape.
- Create a neck for the head
Now begin to make a nose.
- Make a long teardrop shape and place it slightly off centre
- Attach it at the forehead
- Using a straight pin draw in the eyebrow line
Now the eyes and mouth :
- Draw in the eye shapes
- draw the line for the mouth and then gently cut it open
- Insert knitting needle into mouth to form the lips
- Smooth the edges and soften using your knitting needle
- In the corner of each eye use your knitting needle to create space for the eye bead
- Wee Jest is looking to the right (left as you look at him)
- Insert eye beads
- Use the knitting needle to form a lower lip
- Smooth below the lip to form the chin
Detail the mouth and eyes :
- Use the medium ball tool to tuck in the lower lip and create a smile
- Continue with the medium ball tool to indent around the eyes
- Lightly use the medium ball tool above the eye to create some depth for the eyes
- Using the same tool to press on each side of the nostrils widening and forming the shape at the bottom of the nose
- Make a thin clay spaghetti roll, flatten it with your fingers and taper the end
- Attach the eyelid above the eye making sure it touches the bead to connect the expression
- Do the other eye
- Retouch the eyebrow lines
Finish the nose :
- Using the pin make small nostril holes
- Take the knitting needle to open them a little bit further
Add details to the face and add colour :
- Using the pin draw the clown nose, lips, cheeks and eyebrows
- Insert a stick into the neck and shape the chin more clearly
- Smooth the neck and trim away extra length of clay
- Colour you face using a medium tone of face powder
- If you like you can deepen the shadows using a slightly darker tone of powder
- Using a blush tone fill in the cheeks, nose and lips
a few final notes :
- Use makeup or chalk pastel to add colour to your face
- Use soft brushes to apply
- Detail and cure the head in the stove according to the clay instructions on your package
Download your printable notes for the WEE JEST Tutorial Part One below :
this will do . . .
So, for today we are stopping here. The next tutorial will be about making hands for your face and a third one that will be creating the suit for your WEE JEST.
See you next week for part two !
ENJOY EVERY thing and EVERY minute.